Sunday, March 2, 2014

CCM Bulletin week of Feb 24

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith. Where there is despair, hope. Where there is darkness, light. Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive. It is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

We sang this prayer at Lingle Mass last Sunday, and I was reminded of something I read in my missal, Give Us This Day, which I thought I’d pass on because I was so surprised! We all know this prayer as the prayer of St Francis, who died in 1226. But in fact, it was written in France around the time of World War I as a plea for peace in the midst of that calamity, and disseminated by the Quakers. It is thoroughly Franciscan in tone, however: Francis was committed to peace and reconciliation in his own life and times, so I’m sure he prays it with us every time we say and sing it!

Remember, Lent begins next Wednesday, with Ash Wednesday. Tomorrow I’ll send some FAQs with helpful information about the season.

~ Karen


___________________

Karen Soos
Associate Chaplain and Catholic Campus Minister
Davidson College
Campus Box 7196
Davidson NC 28035
704. 894. 2423